A N A C T
RELATING TO INCORPORATION OF THE DUNNS CORNERS FIRE DISTRICT
It is enacted by the General Assembly as follows:
SECTION 1. Section 11 of the act entitled "An Act to Incorporate the Dunns Corners Fire District, and to Amend Contiguous Boundaries of said Fire District and the Westerly Fire District and the Misquamicut Fire District," passed at the January session, 1952, as amended, is hereby amended to read as follows:
Section 11. Budget and finance committee. -- There shall be a committee of
three (3) five (5) qualified electors known as the budget and finance committee. The aforenamed committee is authorized and enjoined to function in the following manner:
(1) To prepare and recommend to the annual meeting the budget for the ensuing year. For this purpose they may examine previous records of expenditures, call for recommendations from the different officers, departments or agencies, and in general exercise supervision over the financial affairs of the district in the interest of economy and efficiency, but said duties shall not conflict with the duties of the treasurer.
(2) Cause an audit to be made of all records annually and require that same be completed in time to render report to annual meeting. For the purposes of this charter, the term "audit" shall be defined as "the systematic inspection or review of the accounting and financial records of the fire district which may include analyses, tests, and confirmations."
(3) Maintain an inventory of all property belonging to the district and report at the annual meeting its findings of accuracy, care and maintenance. No property of the district may be abandoned or sold without the authority of the district assembled in meeting.
(4) No moneys shall be appropriated unless or until the budget and finance committee has first been advised and its recommendation placed before the electors.
(5) All budgetary requests shall be in the hands of the committee thirty (30) days prior to meetings.
(6) All requests for appropriations which are disapproved will be announced at meetings together with a recommendation of disapproval.
(7) Whenever a vacancy shall occur in the office of moderator, clerk, tax collector or treasurer either through death, resignation or disability or removal for cause, the budget and finance committee shall appoint an eligible voter of the district to serve in such capacity until the next annual or special meeting.
(8) The budget and finance committee shall have the authority to retain legal counsel at an annual cost to be determined by the eligible voters of the Dunns Corners Fire District.
SECTION 2. This act shall take effect upon passage.