§ 39-14.2-7. Transportation network company operators or TNC operators, TNC drivers.
(a) No individual shall provide TNC services or transport TNC riders in a personal vehicle until the individual shall have first submitted to required, periodic background checks conducted through the TNC in accordance with subsection (b).
(b) Prior to permitting an individual to accept trip requests through its digital network, a TNC shall:
(1) Require the individual to submit an application to the TNC. The application shall include the individual’s name; address; age; driver’s license number; photocopy or electronic copy of the driver’s license; motor-vehicle registration for the personal vehicle that the individual intends to use to provide prearranged rides; automobile liability insurance; and other information as may be required by the TNC;
(2) Conduct, or have a third party accredited by the National Association of Professional Background Screeners conduct, a local and national criminal background check for each applicant that shall include:
(i) A multistate/multi-jurisdictional criminal records locator or other similar commercial nationwide database with validation (primary source search); and
(ii) The Dru Sjodin National Sex Offender Public Website; and
(3) Obtain and review, or have a third party obtain and review, a driving history research report for such driving applicant.
(c) The TNC shall certify that the required background checks verify that the applicant meets the following criteria:
(1) Has not had more than three (3) moving violations in the prior three-year (3) period, or one of the following major violations in the prior three-year (3) period:
(i) Attempting to evade the police;
(ii) Reckless driving;
(iii) Driving on a suspended license; or
(iv) Revoked license.
(2) Has not, in the past seven (7) years, been convicted of or pleaded nolo contendere to any of the following:
(i) Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol;
(ii) Felony fraud;
(iii) Sexual offenses;
(iv) Use of a motor vehicle to commit a felony;
(v) Felony crimes involving property damage and/or theft; or
(vi) Acts of violence or felony acts of terror;
(3) Is not a match in the Dru Sjodin National Sex Offender Public Website;
(4) Possesses a valid driver’s license;
(5) Possesses proof of registration for the motor vehicle to be used to provide prearranged rides or TNC services;
(6) Possesses proof of automobile liability insurance, that satisfies the financial-responsibility requirement for a motor vehicle under § 31-47-2(13)(i)(A), for the motor vehicle(s) to be used to provide prearranged rides or TNC services; and
(7) Is at least nineteen (19) years of age.
(d) TNC operators may be affiliated with or may “partner” with more than one properly permitted transportation network company to provide TNC services.
History of Section.
P.L. 2016, ch. 346, § 1; P.L. 2016, ch. 367, § 1; P.L. 2020, ch. 79, art. 1, § 8.