Health and Safety
High-Heat Waste Facility Act of 2021
R.I. Gen. Laws § 23-19.17-2
§ 23-19.17-2. Prohibition on new high-heat medical waste processing facilities.
Notwithstanding any other law, rule, or regulation to the contrary, no permit or license shall be issued for the construction or operation of a new high-heat medical waste processing facility, and no application for a permit or license for such a facility shall be granted or issued by the state if the facility:
(1) Is within two thousand feet (2,000′) of any waters as defined in § 46-12-1;
(2) Is within two thousand feet (2,000′) of open space or any state management area, or park, or land held by any entity in trust for public use;
(3) Is within two thousand feet (2,000′) of any floodplains, or flood hazard area as defined in § 45-22.2-4;
(4) Is within one mile of a pre-existing public or private school providing education of any grades 1 through twelve (12), a college or university, a childcare center, a preschool, an assisted living facility, or a nursing facility;
(5) Is within one mile of any area zoned for residential use; or
(6) Is located in an environmental justice municipality.
History of Section.
P.L. 2021, ch. 334, § 2, effective July 9, 2021.