§ 23-17.14-8. Review process and review criteria by department of health for conversions involving for-profit corporation as acquiror or acquiree.
(a) The department of health shall review all proposed conversions involving a hospital in which one or more of the transacting parties involves a for-profit corporation.
(b) In reviewing an application for a conversion involving hospitals in which one or more of the transacting parties is a for-profit corporation, the department of health shall consider the following criteria:
(1) Whether the character, commitment, competence, and standing in the community, or any other communities served by the proposed transacting parties, are satisfactory;
(2) Whether sufficient safeguards are included to assure the affected community continued access to affordable care;
(3) Whether the transacting parties have provided clear and convincing evidence that the new hospital will provide health care and appropriate access with respect to traditionally underserved populations in the affected community;
(4) Whether procedures or safeguards are assured to insure that ownership interests will not be used as incentives for hospital employees or physicians to refer patients to the hospital;
(5) Whether the transacting parties have made a commitment to assure the continuation of collective bargaining rights, if applicable, and retention of the workforce;
(6) Whether the transacting parties have appropriately accounted for employment needs at the facility and addressed workforce retraining needed as a consequence of any proposed restructuring;
(7) Whether the conversion demonstrates that the public interest will be served considering the essential medical services needed to provide safe and adequate treatment, appropriate access, and balanced healthcare delivery to the residents of the state; and
(8) Whether the acquiror has demonstrated that it has satisfactorily met the terms and conditions of approval for any previous conversion pursuant to an application submitted under § 23-17.14-6.
(c) In reviewing proposed conversions in accordance with this section, the department of health shall adhere to the process in § 23-17.14-7(b).
History of Section.
P.L. 1997, ch. 372, § 1; P.L. 2000, ch. 325, § 1; P.L. 2022, ch. 401, § 1, effective June 30, 2022; P.L. 2022, ch. 441, § 1, effective June 30, 2022.