Title 15
Domestic Relations

Chapter 5
Divorce and Separation

R.I. Gen. Laws § 15-5-16.6

§ 15-5-16.6. Security, bond, or guarantee to secure payment of overdue support.

(a) In a proceeding to enforce overdue support, as defined in subsection (b) of this section, the court or its magistrate, after a hearing and a finding of overdue support, may require an obligor parent to give security, post a bond, or give some other guarantee to secure payment of overdue support; the security, bond, or guarantee is to be in any amount, for any term, and upon any conditions that the court or magistrate shall deem necessary or advisable. The court may order that the security, bond, or other guarantee be deposited into the registry of the family court. The obligor parent shall be served with the notice of any proceeding under this section and the notice shall state the procedures to contest the action.

(b) For purposes of this section, “overdue support” means a delinquency pursuant to an obligation determined under a court order, or an order of an administrative process established under the law of any state, for:

(1) Support and maintenance of a minor child, which is owed to or on behalf of the child; or

(2) Support and maintenance of the obligor parent’s spouse or former spouse with whom the child is living.

History of Section.
P.L. 1986, ch. 189, § 1; P.L. 1998, ch. 442, § 8.